Imran Currim, Ph.D.
Imran Currim is Chancellor’s Professor at the University of California, Irvine, and Director, Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. He served the Paul Merage School of Business as Associate Dean for the past 6 years overseeing Executive, Health Care Executive, Fully Employed and Full Time Masters and Undergraduate Programs.
Professor Currim is the recipient of two of the highest honors in marketing:
- the American Marketing Association William O’Dell Award for “the article judged to have made the most significant five year contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and practice,” and
- the American Marketing Association/Houghton Mifflin Distinguished Teaching in Marketing Award, “for contributions to teaching excellence.”
Professor Currim’s recent papers have been finalists for:
- the American Marketing Association Paul E. Green Award for best paper published in Journal of Marketing Research.
- the European Marketing Academy Award for best paper published in International Journal of Research in Marketing.
Professor Currim received:
- Wall Street Journal’s Favorite Professor in an Executive MBA Program.
- Business Week ranked his marketing course taught in the Executive MBA Program #3 in the world.
Professor Currim was recently re-appointed Chancellor’s Professor at UCI, to “recognize full Professors who have demonstrated unusual academic merit and whose continued promise for scholarly achievement makes them of exceptional value to the university.” He also received one of the highest commendations awarded by the University of California Irvine Academic Senate, the Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award.
- How customers make choices
- How competitive product and service features, marketing mix variables such as price, sales promotion, advertising, and distribution, and customer variables such as loyalty, choice set effects, and background variables, influence customer choice.
- Published articles on this topic in various journals such as the European Journal of Marketing, European Journal of Operations Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Inquiry, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Retailing, International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Journal of Marketing Research, Management Science, Marketing Letters, Marketing Science, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. Publications are available at http://web.merage.uci.edu/~currim/publications.htm
- Served as Area and Associate Editor of Marketing Science, and Management Science for 13 years.
- Serves/d on the editorial boards of the Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, International Journal of Electronic Business, and International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising.
Consulting, Executive Training, and Teaching
- Recognized as an international expert in the area of design and marketing of products and services, and market research.
- Consulted for companies such as Altiris, AT&T, Baxter, Dell, Elcam Medical (Israel), Inabata (U.S. and Japan), Johnson and Johnson, Los Angeles Times, Orange County Register, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Brothers, and smaller profit and not-for-profit organizations. Conducted executive training programs at companies such as Astro Asia (Thailand), Bioscience Webster, British Petroleum, Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC), Conexant, First Auto Works (China), Fluor-Daniel, Hyundai, Ingram-Micro, Microsemi, Merage Foundation Export Program, Orange County Register, PAAMCO, Panasonic Avionics, Shinsegae (Korea), and Triage Consulting.
- Received 26 Excellence in Teaching Awards most of which are for his teaching in the Executive and Fully Employed MBA Programs at UCI, New York University, and UCLA.
- PhD (Business) Stanford University
- MS (Statistics) Stanford University
- MBA University of Wisconsin
- BE (Electrical Engineering) Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute, University of Bombay
Prior Academic Appointments
- Before joining UCI in 1989 he was a member of the business school faculties of UCLA Anderson School of Management, New York University Stern School of Business, and Yale School of Organization and Management